Since July of 2000, the annual Komen Brainerd Lakes Race for the Cure® has been one of our biggest fund raisers. It is held in conjunction with the Community Action 4th of July celebrations, on the last Saturday in June.
EVENTS - Participants may choose to run in the 5K, walk a 5K or walk a 1 mile course with commemorative T-shirts to all, along with eligibility for door prizes. 5K Runners also receive age group awards. If they can’t participate physically or cannot attend, people may enter as a Spirit Runner and still support the event and receive a T-shirt. In addition, Kiwanis sponsors Kids for the Cure® races on the track at age appropriate distances with special goody bags for participants.
• TEAMS may be formed of individuals entered in any of the events for additional competitive spirit and awards. Categories are Commercial, Community Group, and Family/Friends.
• BREAST CANCER SURVIVORS are recognized with a special pink T-shirt and cap (gray for men) courtesy of Zeta Tau Alpha and have special treats and drawings just for them in the Survivor Tent on Race Day. They may also have a photo taken near the tent - either alone or with significant supporters. A group photo of all survivors is taken just before the 5K Run and later provided to each participant.
• REGISTRATION - Participants are encouraged to enter online or they may choose to download and mail an entry form. Paper forms are also available at many local businesses.
• FUNDRAISING - Friends for the Cure® are those who collect extra donations and are eligible for additional thank you premiums and prizes. People can donate online or by mail, in general, in support of a participant, and/or to honor someone touched by breast cancer.
• SPONSORS – We are greatly appreciative of our local sponsors - without their monetary and in-kind contribution support this event could not be held.
• GRANTS – Up to 75% of net profits is granted to entities within Minnesota for breast cancer programs. At least 25% goes directly to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Award and Research Grants Program for groundbreaking research.
Our vision: A world without breast cancer