Come and celebrate Bean Hole Days in Pequot Lakes July 11-12, 2017! The huge cast iron kettles of beans are buried on Tuesday, July 11 so they can cook overnight and be served free of charge on Wednesday, July 12 at noon.
It's time to dig out Thor, Big Bertha, Ole, Sven, Lena and Baby Olga for the Pequot Lakes Bean Hole Days celebration July 11-12. Since 1938, this tradition brings thousands together as they share a free lunch of baked beans, dinner roll, and beverage.
The fun begins with the Paddle Hunt - your first clue will be released at 9 a.m. July 10. Tuesday evening the baked beans are buried in the ground to cook overnight and then the huge kettles of beans are unearthed mid-morning on Wednesday. The celebration culminates with the raising of the beans, a Queen and King Bean Coronation, an arts and crafts fair, food market, children's games, and of course, lunch!
Schedule of Events:
MONDAY, JULY 10
If you'd be so kind to help Paul Bunyan look for his paddle that he must find!
Paddle Hunt Clue #1:
Paul Bunyan stopped on the shore of Sibley Lake to cook himself up a pot of beans while on his trek to Pequot Lakes for Bean Hole Days. He had received a gilded invitation from Cindy and Kirk to taste test their famous recipe. His trusty canoe paddle sufficed for a stiring stick since he forgot to pack his giant spoon. He slept under the stars and listened to the loons. When the sun rose he woke up and exclaimed, "By golly!" "Gee whiz!" "Where is my paddle?"
Paddle Hunt Clue #2:
Off Paul went in search of his paddle. He asked Barb at Merritt Jewelers, but she shook her head and said, "I just have Lucette's diamond ring." So, he headed south to seek his buddy Brandon from Lonesome Cottage. Brandon shook off his sawdust and shrugged his shoulders. His advice was to take a rest in his chair under the bobber. Paul was still stumped. Where could his paddle be? Along came Eric jogging on the Paul Bunyan Trail. Paul planted his feet in the Trailside Park and asked, "Eric, can you help me?"
PAUL'S PADDLE HAS BEEN FOUND! CONGRATULATIONS TO TAUNYA LOGE AND RACHEL INGBERG!
Clues will be posted each day at 9 a.m. on the Pequot Lakes Chamber Facebook page. Only 3 clues will be given!
TUESDAY, JULY 11
WEDNESDAY, JULY 12
- 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Community Picnic - The public is invited to stroll through our community organizations area, watch the burying of the beans and enjoy tasty treats from food vendors. Area non profit, church and youth organizations will have interactive games and information about themselves.
- 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. Kids Bungee and Trampoline
- 5:30 p.m. Burying of the Bean Ceremony - The beans, prepared from Paul Bunyan's Secret Recipe are buried in five huge cast iron kettles and cooked over a wood fire during the night. Join us for this special ceremony!
- 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Beer Garden sponsored by Community Action of Pequot Lakes
NEW Bean Hole Day Mugs ($10) and T-Shirts ($15 S-L / $17 XXL) will be for sale in the Pequot Lakes Chamber Welcome Center!
- 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Crafter Show and LIVE MUSIC provided by Carlos Quinche and Kid's Bungee and Trampoline
- 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Dunk Tank sponsored by Abbie Hoelscher Agency American Family Insurance
- 11:15 a.m. - Coronation Ceremony - Prince & Princess Jellybean and Crowning of the Queen or King Bean.
- 12:00 p.m. - Serving of the Beans. Friendly volunteers serve a FREE and delicious bowl of baked beans, dinner roll, and beverage to thousands of attendees. Buy a NEW 2017 mug ($10) or bring your mug from a previous year to enter the Fast Pass for Gas line!
- 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.- "Memories of Elvis Show" by Chris Olson. The hair, the eyes, the sneer, the stride and the voice "THAT VOICE". Hailing from White Bear Lake, Minnesota, Chris was born to play Elvis and has been performing to sold out crowds all over the country for more than a decade! To quote Chris Olson: "I am not trying to walk in the shoes of Elvis Presley. I am merely trying to keep the memories fresh and alive. There will only be one King of Rock n' Roll. Elvis Presley wears that crown."
SEE YOU AT THE SHOW...you might be the one to get the Teddy Bear or one of the scarves!
2014 MPR Coverage of Bean Hole Days
Since 1938, people in Pequot Lakes, Minn. have been gathering for the sake of beans. Bean Hole Days got its start when local businessmen held a bean feed to thank farmers for their support of area businesses. Read full article...